Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Late Nights

Its been a few days since I posted, so I have a little to catch up on.


 For some reason, Friday is a little fuzzy. Actually everything before Friday night is completely gone. I seriously don't remember what I did last week besides lots of Alex, housework and Grey's Anatomy. And not even anything specific, I just know I did what I do every day. It's an odd sensation...

But anyway Friday night was fun. We went bowling with one of Ben's friends from work whose name is Mike and his girlfriend Amanda (Mike Davis, not to be confused with Mike Hendricks, who is mentioned most often here. Mike Davis is from now on Mikey and Mike Hendricks is Mike). We chased all over town for a good bowling alley. Tough Guy Lanes had a bowling league going so we couldn't get a lane for an hour and Pine Bowl was starting a promotion at 9:30 and we would have had to leave if we started before then (don't ask me why the heck why. I doesn't make any sense), So we ended up at the PSUB which turned out to be awesome because they had the black lights on. Black lights make everything better.

Mikey and Amanda have a little boy who is 2 weeks younger than Alex whose name is Corbin. It was fun to bowl, but it was just as fun to talk about our kids because they're doing roughly the same things at the same time (developmentally).

Afterwards, Mikey and Amanda had to go because they were expecting people later on so Ben and I went to Tastee Treet, which turns out, is open till 11 on the weekends.


 I was mostly bored Saturday because Ben worked on the house with Mike all day. Mostly they chopped out the bush and cut down the tree in my front yard which took forever because they had to chase all over to get tools. Then we had Tastee Treet for dinner. Again. But Mike bought this time so it wasn't so bad. I don't suggest having it two nights in a row very often though. Its yummy but not very filling.

I DID make Cream Scones though, so the WHOLE day wasn't a loss.

Cream Scones

1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons sugar
2 cups flour
1/2 cup butter
2 large eggs
1/2 cup evaporated milk

Sift baking powder, salt and flour together. Mix in the sugar. Cut in butter as for a pie crust. Stir in the eggs and milk. Turn onto lightly floured surface and knead very lightly. Divide into 2 parts and roll each part into a circle about 1/4 in. thick. Cut circle into quarters and place on a cookie sheet. Brush the tops of the scones with egg yoke beaten with a little bit of evaporated milk. Bake at 450 degrees about 15 minutes. Serve warm with butter and jam


 Awesome, awesome, awesome! No joke. Ben got up and made a pancake breakfast with eggs and bacon (which isn't normal at our house). We went to church in our new ward, which is nice and small. Then after, we went for a walk around old town--up to the library, and back down on main to Ridley's where we were heathens and got treats so we could go home and watch a movie together. Stardust, because it's both action-ie AND feel-good.

Theeeeen we both had to do homework which took 'till 3am. Alex got tons of sleep but I didn't. He fell asleep around 9pm and decided 8am was the perfect time to be awake and stay awake. He fussed until I sat him up and got busy.

Somewhere in there Ben and I ended up on the floor taking a break from studying by talking and teasing each other. It was great fun.


The only one thing that was cool about Monday was dinner. I sort of made it up. I wanted some kind of sweet something to go with baked sweet potatoes so I did this:

[Insert Recipe Name Here]

2 chicken breasts, thawed
1/2 cup butter, melted
2-3 Tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cardamon
1/2 teaspoon paprika
salt to taste 

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In 9x9 baking dish, whisk together butter, cardamom, paprika and brown sugar. Add chicken, covering with butter sauce (which I did by sticking them in the sauce, then flipping them around so both sides were seasoned). Bake 40 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. (the brown sugar kind of burns a little but all the butter keeps it from sticking to the chicken).


I was sick yesterday with the chills and a headache, which I think was caused by an awesomely awful clogged duct on my right side. I spent the majority of the day watching Grey's Anatomy in my pajamas.

Ben was nice enough to make dinner last night since I didn't feel well. We just had Cream-of-Chicken-Soup-sauce over rice but it was still nice of him. It was what I wanted anyway. Then we watched The Incredibles and ate ice cream. It was awesome.

Ya know, it occured to me while we were watching The Incredibles... remember how Mr. Incredible is sued for saving someone from jumping off a 10-story building at the beginning? Mr. Sansweets or something... Can you actually be sued for thwarting someones attempted suicide? I thought you were supposed to do everything you could to prevent suicides.


Today was basically an awesome day, apart from the forgetting to eat that I did until, like, 5pm.
I watched an episode of Grey's Anatomy, cleaned my whole house, unpacked the remaining 3 boxes that have been driving me nuts for days, told a few stories to my son and read 2 chapters in my Political Science textbook (I have a test this weekend). Pretty eventful compared to yesterday.
For Dinner:

Taco Soup

1 lb hamburger
an onion, chopped
3 cups water
2 cans diced, stewed tomatoes (with juice)
1 can pinto, black or kidney beans, drained
1 can corn (with or without water)
1 pkg taco seasoning
1 pkg ranch seasoning
a bag of fritos
grated cheese

Brown hamburger in large 6 qt soup pan, adding onion either before or after cooking. Add rest of ingredients and bring to a boil. Turn down to medium-low and simmer 20 minutes. Serve with grated cheese and fritos. (Also, a little can of diced green chilies is really good in it too).

By the way, I found my camera. These are from today (April 24th).

No comments:

Post a Comment